CURRENT OPPORTUNITIES IN THE MUNICIPALITY OF THE VILLAGE OF WESTPORT
Treasurer / Deputy Clerk
VILLAGE OF WESTPORT
The Village of Westport is a beautiful community of 650 permanent residents situated on the Upper Rideau Lake, part of the Rideau Canal system, and north of the City of Kingston. The Corporation of the Village of Westport was formed in 1904 and is a member municipality of the upper tier United Counties of Leeds and Grenville. Westport is a large tourist destination and supports the year-round needs of the rural residents in North Crosby as well as those of the Village residents and business owners. Westport has its own water and waste water treatment plants and other infrastructure. The community has a large number of volunteers, who are the back-bone of the Village. Without their significant support, we would not achieve the milestones that we do.
The Village of Westport requires a Treasurer/Deputy Clerk
If you are an innovative person who works well in a team environment this full-time position may be for you. We need a dedicated, results oriented person with solid communication and interpersonal skills.
Working under the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer, the Treasurer performs the statutory duties as defined in the Municipal Act and other legislation. The Deputy Clerk supports the Clerk in ensuring all meetings of Council and Committees comply with provincial legislation and the municipal procedural by-law.
· Post-secondary education or university degree in Commerce, Finance, Public Administration or Business or a related discipline combined with at least five (5) years progressively responsible experience in the municipal or similar field.
· CMO designation is a preferred qualification. An Association of Municipal Managers, Clerks and Treasurers Association (AMCT) designation is an asset or willingness to undertake necessary training is a requirement.
· Thorough knowledge of municipal financial context and operating environment is a must. Must be knowledgeable in financial, accounting and auditing principles and practices, payroll, applicable legislation/regulatory standards, asset management, investment and debt management, provincial grant processes, property taxation, budget formulation (including PSAB) and local government functions and responsibilities.
· Proficiency in all Microsoft Office and financial management applications; municipal and tax software.
· A willingness to maintain professional development.
· Well-developed leadership skills with the ability to develop and maintain a team environment with staff and to gain the support of Mayor and Council.
· Strong oral and written communication skills, including superior report writing and presentation skills. Ability to present complex financial information in an understandable format and manner to non-financial stakeholders.
The Village offers a competitive benefit package and salary commensurate with qualifications and abilities. Salary Range is $57,000 - 83,000. (2020) More information, including a detailed job description is available on our website at www.villageofwestport.ca.
Closing: Friday, January 15, 2021 at 4:00 p.m.
Start Date: Monday, March 22, 2021
Please submit cover letter and resume marked to:
CAO Paul Snider
Village of Westport
30 Bedford St., PO Box 68
Email : email@example.com
The Village of Westport is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance. In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c.25 and will only be used for candidate selection.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.