Part Fifty-Seven ~ What Else Was There (at the Upper Mills)

June 19, 2017

Last week we took a look at the west end of the  Mill Pond and saw the International Buckle Factory in its glory days before the fire that destroyed it in 1909.  Back in the early 1900s, the Upper Mills was the location of the Buckle Factory, The Electric Light and Milling Company, and of course, Mount-View Hospital.  This week we’ll take a look at three more photos of the Upper Mills.

 

The Upper Mills showing The Stoness Mill before it burned and would later be replaced with the brick mill that some may remember. Note the lack of houses along Mountain Road and the west end of Bedford Street. ~ Courtesy of the Rideau District Museum from our early Westport photo album.

 

Dam on the Mill Pond ~ Prior to The Stoness Mill, the Electric Light & Milling Company was located on the pond. The EL&M was purchased by the Stoness family after the dam broke ~ Courtesy of the Rideau District Museum from our early Westport photo album.

 

 

Another great photo of the Upper Mills ~ Courtesy of The Rideau District Museum from our early Westport photo album

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Featured Posts

The regular meeting of Council, scheduled for April 7, 2020 at 6:00 p.m., will take place in a virtual setting via Zoom.

If you would like to attend th...

Council Meeting April 7, 2020 via Zoom

April 6, 2020

1/10
Please reload

Recent Posts
Please reload

Archive
Please reload

Search By Tags